Jr. Designer- Part-time Contract
Career track: Intermediate Designer
Remote - North America preferred
Arq Design Studio needs a up-and-coming designer with a keen eye for typography to help us with our busy studio projects and internal marketing asset needs. If you love creating graphics for all types of mediums, but have a special place in your heart for digital, and want to help create a stellar experience for our clients with a female founded studio, we want to hear from you!
As a Jr. Designer, you'll have immediate impact among a small team of smart colleagues who value conscious business, work life balance and making the world a better place. You will help alleviate production bottlenecks, get campaigns out the door, help customers start telling their story though more mediums. You will be learning and taking direction from the Creative Director who will mentor you and guide your process. As you learn to design efficiently and collaborate remotely with colleagues, you will help bridge the gap between business strategy and design strategy.
Arq services Shopify clients needing custom solutions and semi-custom themes. You can read more about the company, it's founder, and ethos here.
This is a remote position estimated to 16+ hours of work per week (approx. 60 hours a month on average) with the possibility of more ongoing work in the future. We're looking for single freelancer and task oriented designer. Potential for full time hours before the end of 2021 (30-35+ hours per week).
We won't accept inquiries from overseas agencies.
This is a remote position. Candidates within Canada or able to work during North America time zones are strongly preferred.
Womxn, LGBTQ+, Non-binary, neuro-divergent, and BIPOC, etc. candidates encouraged to apply even if you don't think you fit 100% of the criteria. Arq is devoted to making the studio an inclusive place to work and values different schools of thought in our bubble.
The ideal candidate for this position has amazing skills with typography, ability to pivot through multiple clients in a day, in addition to paying extreme attention to detail. You want to help grow our agency and have ambitions to be a design manager or art director in the future.
Acts of service is your love language, and words of affirmations is ours.
Cool stuff you'll be putting in your book:
- Creating website landing pages and eCommerce experiences
- QAing work for website design (getting files pixel perfect, doing asset revisions, flowing in copy, getting assets ready for export)
- Creating email designs and newsletters in Figma, Illustrator, Photoshop
- Creating social media graphics and templates for clients
- Finalizing, Packaging and editing brand guidelines documents
- Retouching photography in Photoshop
- Creating web banners or landing pages for eCommerce clients in Figma
- Creating social media posts (carousels, videos) for the Studio and our clients (in Figma, Canva, and video editing tools)
- Repurpose high value content into blog posts, pins, instagram stories, etc
- Conceptualizing and executing internal client-facing documents such as welcome guides, proposals, and referral program in Adobe InDesign
- Creative reviews under the Creative Director
- Project Delivery - work within time constraints to meet deadlines. Identify and communicate issues with fine details and timelines.
- Self motivated, creative and self-directed.
- Able to set aside 16+ dedicated working hours a week during 10am–6pm EST to communicate and coordinate with your team.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills.
- Friendly and personable, able to ask the right questions.
- A pro at typography, and are obsessed with web design trends and can spot a tracking mistake from a mile away
You NEED to:
- Know the soft skills for Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and digital design tools like Figma (or know XD/Sketch)
- A passion for helping conscious brands change the world
- One or more years of Graphic Design experience or an internship required
- Professional experience with freelancing preferred - you can navigate the world of working for yourself and setting your own hours
We can work with a flat rate per month, or hourly rate of $25-$30/hr - negotiable depending on experience and soft skill fit.
This is a contract position and does not include benefits, tax deductions, or training. Mentorship will be provided.
Are design is a tiny boutique studio in Toronto working on freelance custom design projects and ongoing maintenance for medium sized businesses, generally product based business who have a socially or environmentally conscious angle. If you have a proactive "get-it-done" spirit, and have a passion for helping retail eCommerce clients succeed in a digital driven world, we want to hear from you!
How to Apply
Only the candidates who follow the steps below will be considered.
- Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com (PS we hate stuffy cover letters - show us your personality)
- Reference: Arq Jr. Designer in your subject line
- If you made it this far, tell us who your favourite fictional character in the body of the email
- Give us a link to your portfolio/case studies
Due to the volume of applicants, only those who are selected for the next round of screening will be contacted for a follow up. But we do keep resumes on hand for a year so stay in touch!